Sunday, March 17, 2013

New Adventure #8: Manicure Pedicure

So, this is one of the items on my "new adventure" list that makes me feel really silly, but I'm gonna write about it anyway. The fact that it was WAY more fun than I expected has convinced me.

New Adventure #8 was...a manicure/pedicure. Honestly, it was incredibly relaxing and fun. I've never had either before. I paint my toes and my mom used to paint my nails every once in awhile pre-high school, but I've never had it professionally done. Never really considered it. But between my new adventure year and a convenient Groupon, it seemed worth a try.

I went to Robert's Salon and Spa in Belmont. It was after work, and I was one of the last few customers in the place. I'd read reviews that the atmosphere was too rushed, but my experience was the reverse. I was welcomed and offered a cup of (admittedly pretty bad) coffee, allowed to choose a polish color, and seated for a few minutes before Lauren came over to get me. I soaked my feet in a whirlpool tub for a few minutes while she set up. She removed my poor attempt at toe nail polish, trimmed and shaped my toenails, scrubbed my feet with a lovely gritty scrub, massaged my feet and calves a little bit with oil/moisturizer, buffed my nails, applied a base coat, 2 layers of polish and a top coat.  That probably took 45 minutes and was incredibly pleasant and relaxing. Lauren and I chatted, but I didn't feel interrogated or chattered at at like I sometimes do when I get my hair cut, etc.

She had me put on these silly disposable flip-flops and lead me over to a table to let my toes dry and paint my fingernails. There was less ritual here, just cleaning, trimming and shaping my nails, and again a base coat, 2 polish, and a top coat. She used a really awesome gel-style polish that hardened under a UV light. It left the nails perfectly smooth and shiny, and an awesome sparkly purple color! I can't stop staring at them; I get distracted every time I notice my fingers.

The whole thing took about an hour and fifteen minutes, and I enjoyed every moment of it. I'm so glad I didn't decide it was too trivial for my adventure project. I was skeptical, but it was a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment