Thursday, April 11, 2013

New Adventure #9: Canvassing

So, I tried political canvassing! Let me just say that this was WAY outside my comfort zone. Knocking on strangers' doors and asking them questions is not something I would ever have pictured myself doing. As recently as the November elections, I refused a friend's invitation to join the get-out-the-vote effort for Elizabeth Warren because it just sounded so uncomfortable. However, I've been wanting to get more involved in my community and I feel strongly about Ed Markey's Senate campaign, so I pushed myself to try it.
 
 
The experience was...interesting. The jury is still out on how I feel about it, though I'm certainly glad I tried it.

Backing up, political canvassing involves making direct contact with potential voters, usually by going door-to-door. The purpose is generally to determine who is likely to vote for your candidate, in order to prepare for a get-out-the-vote effort to encourage them to actually get to the polls on election day. Volunteer recruiting is often also a goal.
 
I had feared that I would be expected to try to convince people to vote for Markey by explaining his views and record, but the focus was much more on raising awareness that an election is coming and identifying people's present inclinations. Thank goodness!
 
I met up with the local organizer for my town and a couple other volunteers. They set me up with a stack of pamphlets and a handy smartphone app that provided me with a list of likely voters' names and addresses in a localized area. Apparently, which primary you voted in and the address you're registered at are public information - didn't know that.
 
I drove to the area and spent about 2 hours canvassing. In that time I knocked on about 40 doors. Most people aren't home on Saturday mornings, it turns out, and only about 15 of those knocks were answered. I spoke to a couple enthusiastic Markey supporters, one firm Lynch supporter, and a number of folks who either hadn't been aware of the election or hadn't decided who to vote for. I left pamphlets with everyone I spoke to, as tucked more into the doors of the people who weren't home. I also recorded in the app who I'd made contact with, whether they were inclined to vote for or against Markey, and whether they were interested in volunteering.
 
The first hour or so was more fun than I had expected. Talking to the folks who were enthusiastic about Markey was affirming, and informing people who weren't aware that there is an election coming up was rewarding. I started to flag after an hour or so though. I suspect it would be a lot more sustainable if I had a partner to work with. If anyone's interested in canvassing with me, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment