Saturday, June 8, 2013

New Adventure #15: Boston Independent Film Festival

I read Roger Ebert's memoir last year, and it inspired a strong desire to attend a film festival. I was delighted to find that Boston has its own, the Boston Independent Film Festival, which ran April 24th-30th this year. I was even more excited to find that Joss Whedon (creator of "Buffy, "Angel", "Firefly", etc) had an entry, an adaptation of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing". Check out this trailer.

It was simply incredible. Possibly the most enjoyable film I've ever seen. I'd expected a remake with modern dialogue, but it was the original word for word in a modern setting. I'd never properly appreciated Shakespeare before this. The whole thing was hilariously funny, both the dialog, where I finally felt like I got all the jokes I would have missed in text, and the physical comedy so characteristic of Whedon. The audience was in stitches for much of the movie, and I missed hearing whole verbal exchanges because we were all laughing uproariously. I've never enjoyed myself so much at a movie.

The theatrical release is coming up, and you can see it at the Coolidge Theater starting on June 21st. Tickets go on sale a few days before. I can't recommend this show highly enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment