Saturday, June 8, 2013

New Adventure #14: Zweifachers, Breton, and Scottish Dance

I'm an avid dancer, as most people know, so I was delighted to get to try a number of new kinds of dance at the NEFFA folk festival recently:

The zweifacher is a German folk dance. It is danced by couples in a close position to allow for the quick waltz and pivot steps. Each dance has a set choreography that ranges from reasonably simple and easy to remember to quite complex. I happened to jump in for a complicated one and had a difficult time following, despite a skilled partner. It was really fun though!

Scottish country dance is a social dance performed in sets of 3 or more couples. It bears some resemblance to contra dance, but with an added element of precise footwork. I was more-or-less able to keep up with the figures, but my footwork needs some practice! I'm hoping to make it to the lessons and social dancing at Springstep soon.

Breton dancing is a folk dance originating in the French region of Brittany. It is performed as a group, with everyone joining hands or linking elbows (depending on the dance) and performing a short sequence of steps again and again while moving around the room. There was wonderful live bagpipe music. I just love bagpipes! Here's a short video:


No comments:

Post a Comment