Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Adventure #2 - Fudge!

I'd always had the vague idea that making fudge was a long, difficult process involving a candy thermometer, double boiler, and (more than likely) burnt chocolate. To my surprise and delight, I discovered that I can make a delicious fudge with just 3 ingredients and no stove or thermometer! To be sure, there are many fancier and more complicated recipes. The extra effort probably shows, but I found I was more than satisfied with my quickie recipe. This is probably the highest deliciousness-to-effort ratio of any dessert I've ever made.




Quickie Chocolate Orange Fudge

8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 - 1 teaspoon flavor extract
Break/chop the chocolate up into small pieces and mix in a microwave-safe bowl with the sweetened condensed milk.
Gradually melt the mixture in the microwave. Microwaves vary, but I suggest starting with 30 seconds on low, stirring, then additional 15 second bursts as needed, stirring in between. Don't rush! Continue until the chocolate is almost completely melted, with just a few small lumps. Work the last few lumps in by stirring gently.
Add the favor extract and stir until smooth. I couldn't find my measuring spoons, but I estimate I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract. The orange was a little too strong for my taste, so I'd recommend 1/4 teaspoon instead. Try adding a little at a time and tasting as you go!
Line a small dish with tin foil. I found that a 5x9" bread pan was perfect for the amount of fudge this recipe generates. Pour the fudge batter into the lined dish and refrigerate. (Don't forget to lick the spatula!)

Let the fudge solidify for 2+ hours, cut into bites (the foil makes this easy), and enjoy! 
Store in the fridge in an airtight container after chilling to prevent the fudge from drying out. Note that this recipe generates a soft but solid fudge, definitely not the gooey type.

I'm looking forward to trying different flavorings. Coconut chocolate fudge is definitely coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment