Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Love Making Things!

I love making things! No matter how simple, crafting always makes me feel so productive and happy.

I found a great tutorial for making candle holders from re-used items.

Karen and I went to the thrift shop and bought an assortment of cheap, likely-looking things. I opted for matched pairs built around glass vases. The tutorial suggested decorative wooden pieces as toppers and bases, but I couldn't find any so I went mostly with coasters and thick foam cutouts.

I got a rainbow of acrylic paints and mixed custom colors. The glue suggested in the tutorial, E-6000 is awesome, though I should have left it more time to dry. It provides some hold immediately, but doesn't fully set for about 24 hours. The pieces kept coming apart as I moved and tipped them for painting. 

Here's what they looked like after assembly but before paint:




And here are the final products - amazing the difference a coat of paint makes!




I'm really pleased! The black pair could also be used as candy dishes, or to present a fancy brownie or other treat on a paper doily.

I was also really happy to realize that over-sized snack jars make great craft material storage:


The project had a pretty high up-front cost because I had to buy all the paints, brushes, and glue. Next time it will just be the cost of the thrift store items. I'm so excited to make more of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment