Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Adventure #5: Moonlight Meadery

Alcohol always held a certain glamor for me. The pretty bottles, the tasty scents, and the grown-up allure. The only problem was, I couldn't stand the taste. So when I turned 21, I undertook a search for palatable alcohols. One of the varieties I've discovered that I like is mead.

Mead is believed to be the most ancient fermented drink, older than beer or wine. At simplest, it is a brewed solution of honey and water. Spices, fruits, and other flavorings are optional.

New Adventure #5 was a tour and tasting at the Moonlight Meadery in Londonderry, NH.



Paramour: honey, blackberry, blueberry, cherry, black currant mead

The tour was given with great enthusiasm by one of the brewers. There's not a huge amount to see, though some of the mechanisms like the bottle-filler are neat, but the process is interesting and the guide's excitement makes it worth it. The tasing was delicious. The Meadery sells about 30 varieties ranging from traditional (just honey), to those flavored with apples, blueberries, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and even hot peppers! I tasted 6, my favorite being Summer Love (they all have cute names), a honey-orange mead with vanilla. I'll definitely try more in the future!

The tour and tasting combination is only $15 per person, and you leave with a Moonlight Meadery wine glass that gets you 10% discounts whenever you bring it back. A delightful outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment